Speechwriting & Blog Writing
Crafted compelling speeches and accompanying materials for events ranging from small presentations at federal agencies to congressional testimony and plenary addresses at national and international conferences.
- Speechwriter, blog writer, and marketing copywriter for the National Council for Behavioral Health.
- Blog writer for BetterDoctor.
- Blog writer for The Colorado Trust. See The Brain Science of Poverty.
- Ghostwriter for WRAP and Recovery Books blog posts (2016).
- Principal speechwriter for the director of the federal Center for Mental Health Services, Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (2007-2016). Drafted remarks supporting significant transformation of the U.S. mental health care system.
- Speechwriter for other top federal officials and industry heads.
- Authored congressional testimony. See Activities of the DHHS That Can Help Prevent Suicides Among Active Duty Military. Researched, compiled, coordinated, and completed testimony in seven days.
- Developed blog posts for various federal websites. See Street Medicine Pioneer Helps Heal Homeless Communities.
- Chosen in an open competition to be a guest blogger for GovLoop, an online community of more than 200,000 government leaders.
High-Profile Reports & Resources
Conceptualized, researched, wrote, and edited dozens of reports, toolkits, training curricula, and technical assistance materials for clients at the local, state, and federal levels.
- Editor for HCPro Credentialing & Privileging whitepapers.
- Chief researcher and author of Responding to a High-Profile Tragic Incident Involving a Person with a Serious Mental Illness: A Toolkit for State Mental Health Commissioners, used to orient all new state mental health commissioners on communicating with their governors and the media about mental illness and violence, involuntary commitment, and gun laws.
- Lead author of Blueprint to Change: Ending Chronic Homelessness for Persons with Serious Mental Illnesses and/or Co-occurring Substance Use Disorders, a seminal document that became the basis for courses taught to homeless services providers around the country.
- Principal author of Transforming Mental Health Care in America–The Federal Action Agenda: First Steps and Transforming Mental Health Care in America–The Federal Action Agenda: A Living Agenda, in response to the final report of the President’s New Freedom Commission on Mental Health.
- Co-author of the Report to Congress on the Prevention and Treatment of Co-occurring Substance Abuse Disorders and Mental Disorders, which became the basis for federal policy on co-occurring disorders.
- Co-author of Ending Homelessness: The 10-Year Action Plan, for Raleigh/Wake County, NC.
- Principal author of the Center for Mental Health Services Strategic Forecast, Spring 2009.
Magazines, Journals, & Books
Wrote and edited articles for print and online publications, including individual pieces and series.
- Editor for Book in a Box, helping authors turn their ideas into books.
- Edited the quarterly alumni magazine for a private girls’ boarding school. Developed the editorial calendar, created content, supervised graphic designers, and managed the printing process.
- Contributed feature articles to alumni magazines at two private colleges.
- Ghostwrote articles for publication in national magazines. See the editorial “Breaking the Silence” in National Council Magazine.
- Co-authored Pushing the envelope: Shared decision making in mental health, published in Psychiatric Rehabilitation Journal.
- Wrote A Delicate Balance: Living Successfully with Chronic Illness. Spoke to patient support groups across the country and provided endorsements for numerous authors.
Newsletters & Marketing Communications
Developed content, oversaw production, and managed design and printing of newsletters and marketing collateral for nonprofit and for-profit organizations.
- Served as editor of Opening Doors, newsletter of the Health Care for the Homeless Program, Bureau of Primary Health Care, Health Resources and Services Administration.
- Wrote and edited Healing Hands, the newsletter of the Health Care for the Homeless Clinicians’ Network. See HCH Clinicians Can Help Homeless People Die with Dignity.
- Wrote, edited, and designed Access, a quarterly publication of the National Resource Center on Homelessness and Mental Illness.
- Wrote, edited, and designed a weekly campus newsletter.
- Wrote award-winning recruitment literature for a private girls’ boarding school.
Coaching & Mentoring
Developed junior and mid-level writers through individual and group coaching and ongoing training.
- Managed a team of six writers and curriculum developers from five states and the District of Columbia. Created a virtual community of practice with monthly presentations and networking opportunities.
- Conducted biweekly one-on-one mentoring sessions with writing staff.
- Mentored communications students for the University at Albany, Albany, NY.
- Developed and delivered a multi-day training on plain language writing for federal staff and staff at a for-profit federal contractor.